Thursday, March 24, 2011

Living Everyday Ultimately Organized - Laundry

Laundry is one of those skills I learned from my mom, and I tend to do laundry the way she did when I was growing up. Everyone in the house has a laundry basket, and one day a week, in our house on Sunday, I gather the laundry, sort, wash, dry, iron, and put away. One thing with laundry is that you are making a committment to stay at home, at least long enough to move it from one machine to the other and get it out before it turns into a ball of wrinkles (thus doubling your work load). If you find your laundry day keeps getting put off til tomorrow, then set a date with those dirty clothes. Make an appointment to do laundry and block off two, three, or four hours so you aren't tempted to let other activities take it's place.

Many people may not have the time to dedicate half a day to laundry, so they spread it out throughout the week. Even if you do one load of laundry each day, you need to follow the process through to the end. That means, WASH, DRY, IRON, FOLD & PUT AWAY the entire load. Also, be sure you are doing a full load. It not only saves water and energy, but also your time.

Here's something you may not have thought about... time how long it takes to run a load in the washer and the dryer. Set a timer so you know exactly when the wash cycle ends, and use the end of cycle alert on your dryer .

When I have to do a load of laundry during the week I know if I put it in the washer before I shower in the morning, then after I am dressed I can move it to the dryer. I budget about 5-10 minutes to fold and put it away before we leave the house. Now, this load is usually towels or sheets, which don't require ironing or a lot of running around to put away.

Get out from under those piles of dirty clothes and start Living Everyday Ultimately Organized.

No comments:

Post a Comment